Pin It!

Monday, December 1, 2008

Ginger Cookies

I know I still have two days of adventure to tell you about, but all my pictures are on my computer at home, and since I'm not at home to fetch the pictures, I can't tell you about those places (Nora won't allow it). So that will have to be put off for another day.

I want to make cookies for neighbor gifts this year. What cookies do you look forward to this time of year? What cookies, if offered a plateful of various and sundry choices, would you search out first? I think for me, it's ginger cookies. The soft variety, not the "you can't catch me" kind that breaks when you bite it with hard icing that cracks all over the place. This is the recipe I'm using this year. It's from Allrecipes.com. I know I'm going against the rules in posting a recipe I haven't yet tried, but I'm going to make them tonight, and report back tomorrow (because I'll bet you won't make them before then!). After all, you have to trust the reviews from 1,718 people, don't you?













Big Soft Ginger Cookies

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons white sugar

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg, then stir in the water and molasses. Gradually stir the sifted ingredients into the molasses mixture. Shape dough into walnut sized balls, and roll them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar. Place the cookies 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet, and flatten slightly.
Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.

I'm going to do as several reviewers suggested, and switch orange juice for the water. I don't believe 1 T will make much difference, but you never know (or, you will know by tomorrow because I'll let you know)!
This recipe isn't that different from my recipe in the family cookbook, but there are a few changes.
Now, what other cookies should go on my cookie plate? I know Cheryl's plate must have Spritz cookies on it. What does your plate have to have on it? I seriously want to know!

2 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

Andrew LOVES ginger cookies! Let me know how they turn out. On my cookie platter for Christmas is the must-have of Pecan Fluffs. We love them!

My word verification is "holyst"! What do you think that might mean???!!!! :)

Stephanie said...

Mexican wedding cookies are a must. With or without nuts. That powdered sugar love makes me think it's Christmas.