After dinner it was time for the gift exchange. We had been asked to bring a $5 white elephant gift. A lady read "Twas the Night Before Christmas" but added a bundle of left or right words (like "snug right in their beds") and then you pass your gift that direction and when the poem is over, whatever gift you're holding becomes yours.
The gifts were opened one at a time. A nice ornament...a pretty this...a cute that...a festive whatever...and then it was my turn. My box felt very light in weight. I wondered if there was even anything in it, it was so light. When I opened it this is what was inside...
You can imagine my surprise! My first thought was "I hope it's not used!" Everyone was shocked (remember we're just a bunch of old people). Then we all started laughing. It was very funny. The lady that was responsible for giving that priceless gift came up to me after the party and said she was so embarrassed because she thought it was supposed to be a real white elephant type of gift, and could she please give me the gift she was given instead to make up for it?
This was the gift she received, along with a pouch of sugar cookie mix. I let her keep the cookie mix and allowed her to give me the cookie plate so she could feel better.
No comments:
Post a Comment