Pin It!

Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Eiffel Tower or Tour Eiffel

We crossed the street from the Louvre and found this river. It probably has a name, and I doubt its name is "Paris-a river runs through it". I really enjoyed taking pictures of it though.


Oh, here's something I can tell you the name of. Notre Dame. Yep, that's it.


Like the cafe on yesterday's post, this is also what I think Paris should look like. This entire row of vendors was mostly selling used books. Perhaps they were rare? They were definitely old, and used.

Through the trees is the Louvre from the other side of the "river-runs-through-it" river.

Paris likes their art so much they display it everywhere, like on the side of the street for seemingly no reason other than, well, it's art!

It's on the apartment buildings, just randomly placed.

This is actually a museum, so you can't find fault with them tossing up a little art here! This is the Musee d'Orsay.
Gasp! What is that? Yonder, in the distance! Bud won the nickel for being the first to see it. Siblings, do you remember going to Disneyland and Uncle Lawrence would pay a nickel (did the price ever inflate?) to the first person to see the Matterhorn?

We walked for about 45 minutes between Notre Dame and the Eiffel Tower, only to realize that although it's a short distance on the map, it's a long distance when you're on foot. We decided to get off foot, or in other words, take the subway! When we exited the subway, we looked all around and couldn't find the tower. You would think it wouldn't be that hard to spot, after all, I was fairly certain it was a large item, not easily hidden. However, we couldn't find it for a minute. Finally, I spotted it (do I get the nickel this time?) hiding behind a tall building. You can see Bud in the cap below.

YES! Finally! It is gorgeous. I was so excited to see this.

It's pretty big. Can you see the dinky people at the bottom of this picture to the left?

So amazing.

See the people walking up? I didn't walk. I got in the claustrophobically small lift, or elevator with the huddled masses, shut my eyes and prayed while we went up, up, up.

Bud is waiting for our turn on said claustrophobic elevator.

While we were waiting to buy our tickets (12 Euro each) they said the top was temporarily closed. No! I came all this way to go all the way to the top! But, before we got to the front of the line to get our tickets, they opened it back up. However, we were warned there was a little fog up there. No matter. I was bound and determined to go all the way (to the top). I'll show you the view from up there on Monday. It's spectacular.

No comments: