We started our excursion by visiting Corfu's most famous bay, Paleokastritsa.
Go ahead, say it out loud. I'm listening. Pay-lee-oh-kuh-streets-uh. Yep, that's what I thought you said.






This mountainside was right next to the bay.

Realize that we are on a large bus. A motorcoach, if you will. We're zipping by narrow little alleys like this one, on narrow little streets.

And then we slowed to a
crawl dead stop. We were jammed so tightly between the building/houses on either side of the road that I was certain we were either going to be stuck there forever or at the very least, scrape up the sides of the bus. I know this pictures doesn't really show what I was looking at from my window, but I tell you, it was a tight squeeze. And from the looks of the gouges in the cement, I think not everyone gets through unscathed!

Miraculously, we got through that spot without a scrape or a bump. I don't know how the driver did it, but we all applauded afterwards.
When we got out of our unscraped bus/motorcoach, this was the first thing I saw...

Isn't that a fabulous rose? It's color reminded me of a certain daughter of mine.
This view is of the bay I showed you earlier, but from up on top of the mountain.


They nestle pockets of houses along the mountainsides.

One of the major exports of Corfu is olive oil, or as Rachel Ray says EVOO. This is an olive tree.

Nets are placed on the ground around the tree to gather the olives. When it's harvesting time, they just gather up the nets and off they go to the press.
This is a cool looking castle on top of a hill. Yes I know, I'm so informative in my narrative...it's just how I amative.

And the typical souvenir shop that's full of
stuff junk I don't need or want, but I still look.

By the time we made our way down the very windy (that's not like the blowing stuff, but the curving stuff) mountain, I was feeling quite ill. However, I felt it was my duty to take a picture of the last item of interest. This is a little church. It's the most photographed church on the island.

It is right next to this place called Mouse Island. Unfortunately there's no good story why it's called that. It's mostly just because it's a small island, and well, a mouse is small.

Here are the two together so you can see the relationship of one to the other.

And back to home sweet home away from home.

This was our last stop. We then headed back to Venice, which crazily enough is now underwater! I'm glad that didn't happen while we were there! Check this out!

Remember the pictures of the pigeons all over the place? That lady had them on her arms and the little boy had them swarming around his feet? This is the same plaza where those pictures were taken. Crazy. Thanks for the picture, Bekah. Paris is next!
2 comments:
How AMAZINGLY beautiful!
Wow, those picture are amazing!
You must have sent me some kind of telepathic message about sugar cookies- I'm glad you got to see them today! Hope you like them :)
Sara
Post a Comment