Pin It!

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Leftover Turkey? Save 'Dem Bones!

Last week I went to Orson Gygi's for a R.S. homemaking outing. It was fun using their test kitchen to check out a few leftover turkey recipes. This one gets a thumbs-up (sorry, I don't have a picture).

Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup
Serves 6-8

2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 celery rib, chopped
3 cups white cooking wine
2 onions, chopped
1 turkey carcass
6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 cup wild rice
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/4 cup flour
3 cups chopped cooked turkey
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup heavy cream
salt and pepper, to taste

Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onions and celery until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add turkey carcass, cooking wine and chicken broth. Simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour. In a large bowl, strain broth, discarding all solids.
Wipe out Dutch oven and toast rice over medium heat until rice begins to pop, 5-7 minutes. Stir in turkey broth, carrots, thyme and baking soda; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 1 hour.
Whisk flour and cream in a bowl until smooth. Slowly whisk flour mixture into soup. Add turkey and simmer until soup is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper if desired (the soup I tasted was just a little too salty for my taste, so be careful when adding extra salt).
After thinking this may have been an original recipe (not mine though) I just found this post, and the only difference is the amount of carrots (4 instead of 2). There's a picture on that post, but it might scare you away from trying this recipe. It doesn't look great, but it does taste great.

3 comments:

samandholly said...

The reason it was too salty is because you/they used "cooking" wine which is crappy wine to which a TON of salt has been added, rendering it unfit for drinking. The only use for "cooking" wine is, is, um, I can't come up with a logical use for it. If you are going to use wine in a dish, just use wine!

samandholly said...

BTW, you should mention to your little friends at Gygi's that whoever did their website needs to use a culinary spell-check. It is a STEEL not a STEAL. The company is ALL-CLAD, not ALL-CALD.

Patti said...

I didn't actually have this problem because I had no wine (cooking or non) in the house, so I used chicken broth (which was where the too salty came from). I tried to bring home the bottle of wine we were given on the cruise, as a "so sorry we screwed up and gave you a terrible cabin" bribe, but Bud gave it to our room steward.