Did you know that Greek is the spoken language of Greece? I know, it's hard to imagine.
The capital of Santorini is Fira. That's the town you see up there on the cliff. The city was rebuilt after an earthquake in 1956. Quick quiz...who do you know that was born in 1956?

They tuck houses in wherever they can.

If you revisit this
pre-post of Santorini, you will see a picture from this same spot, except Bud isn't sitting on the wall.

This looks like a door going to nowhere. It's actually leading to a stairway going down to a restaurant.

Looking over that wall, you can see our mode of transportation, Splendour of the Seas.

We just wandered around the town of Fira for a couple of hours. I guess the big attraction would have been to head over to Oia (pronounced Ee-ah), but we didn't do that.

However, our tablemates did go to Oia and I checked out Rex's pictures. His pictures aren't on my post.

This was the entry to an art museum.

And, the exit of the museum. Just want you to know that I've got all the angles covered.

This is a Catholic church. I loved the powder-blue walls.

This is the sidewalk just outside of the church. Isn't that cool?


So you're probably wondering how we got up to the city. There are a couple of options. This cable car was our choice. Good thing that the 1956 birthday person wasn't with us. She wouldn't have gotten in the cable car, I guarantee it.

Another way to get up there is to walk, like this fellow in the blue shirt. If you walk though, you have to share the pathway with these guys...

Or you can just ride one up (or down, depending on which way you're headed).

This reminds me of the old Mervyn's commercial "Open, open, open"

What do you think he's thinking?

He's probably thinking he's glad I'm only taking his picture instead of climbing on his back.
1 comment:
Being said birthday person, you're absolutely rootin'-tootin' I would not have gone up that hill and seeing my other choice to access the top, I think I would have opted to sit out the sight-seeing all together that day cuz this old gray mare ain't what she used to be!
Post a Comment