Pin It!

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Saturday Morning's Adventure

I have to post Saturday's adventures in two posts or I'll be here all day trying to get this done. Saturday was a busy day.
Nora and I started the morning by going to her cooking class. Samuel gave me great directions. Seems I have forgotten some of the street names around there (senility sets in early than you think!) and he said Nora would know where to go once we got to the building. She feigned ignorance. Luckily, I saw other adult-type people and small munchkins going into a building so I followed them. Bingo.
After waiting for about 15 minutes for the rest of the kids to arrive and Nora having long ago finished the paper she was given to color, it was time to start making pizza.
First, she was given a refrigerator biscuit which she was to gently stretch so it would fit the bottom and sides of a muffin cup. Do you think of Princess Bride when you hear the word gently?
She was really good at this part. She stretched and stretched. Then I pushed it back to a little smaller size.
Then she was given some cheese.
She had a little more than she needed for her pizza. What to do with the leftovers? No problem.
Oh, dropped a couple pieces. Still, no problem.
Now let's add some meat to the mixing bowl cup.

And some Ragu spaghetti sauce...
Sometimes it was tough to wait for the next ingredient, but Nora was very patient.
Now stir it all together! In this picture, Nora reminds me of Catheryn. Can you see it too?
Evidently, we weren't supposed to add the cheese to the "crust" yet. It was supposed to go in the mixing bowl cup with the meat and sauce. It's so hard to get it right when you're making a recipe for the first time. But again, no problem. The little 16 year olds that were "teaching" the class just gave her more cheese. Mmm.
Now it was time to bake the pizzas. After a moment, the blond 16 yr. old came in and announced the oven was broken, so she was going to take the pizzas to her house which was only a couple minutes away. I thought Blondie handled the crisis very professionally.
Time for more time wasting coloring. This time it was with paints! Unfortunately, the store only had a few painting trays so Blondie cut them all in half. Nora's first half of the palette was green, blue, brown and black. The girl next to her got red, purple, orange and yellow. After a few minutes, I asked parent-of-girl-next-door if we could "trade". He said sure.
Pizzas are still not cooked. The natives are getting restless. Bring out the toys!
After magnets and tinker toys and a story about Arthur getting lost on a bus, the pizzas were delivered. I thought Nora's looked the yummiest of all the pizzas.
Deliciousness.
Finger-licken' good even.
So good in fact, she asked for a second one (because Blondie had made extras). I wonder what Nora made in cooking class this week. Regular Grandma and Grandpa got to go with her this week. I'm sure they had as much fun "cooking" with Nora as I did.
And I have a new recipe to add to my collection as well. What a great morning!

3 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

Yes, I definitely agree that she does resemble Catheryn in that one picture! Funny! Guess it's the Lystrup in our kids...

Nora's world said...

Sorry you thought the cooking class was time wasting. Last Saturday was pudding cupcakes in ice cream cones with marshmallow flowers on top. Don't worry, I can't picture it either, but that is the best description I got. But she didn't bring any home to share.

Patti said...

Holly, you misunderstood me. The time-wasting was only in waiting for the pizzas to cook, so the 16 year olds were trying to keep the kids busy at that point waiting for the pizzas to be done. I loved the class, loved being with Nora, loved everything about the visit!