Pin It!

Friday, May 2, 2008

Friday's Adventures

On Friday we took a train to Los Angeles with Nora's preschool chums, but we didn't have much interaction with them. We just did our own thing. They just happened to be on the same train at the same time.

Nora was very excited to ride on a big train.

It was hard to get a picture of both girls looking the same way (towards the camera), and this was the best I could do.
Sara loved wandering around exploring this new world called L.A.
Nora found a wishing well. Holly fished a "used penny" out of the well so Nora could make a wish. After Holly found out what Nora wished for she discounted its validity on two counts. First, it was a previously wished-on penny, hence it had no power. Second, Nora told the wish, thereby making it invalid. What was the wish? Nora wanted a big brother.
I suppose that someday, if Nora gets a brother, he can be bigger than she is, but unless he's adopted, he will never be older than she is. I explained that to her, and she promptly started wishing from that point for a little brother. Mommy says no. At least not for a long time.
Maybe Nora can pretend this guy is her big brother?
Nora wanted a hat. She tried on several. This wasn't the winner.
Sara looked cute in her little hat. She didn't get to buy one though.
After all that wishing and shopping, it creates a fierce appetite. Sara was ready for lunch! Bring on the chips and salsa. Yes, Sara ate salsa.
Nora was having more fun smashing up the chips into tiny pieces and feeding them to the birds.
This hat wasn't the winner either, but it does show Nora eating her second churro of the day.

Time to go back home now. Sara kept us all entertained by crawling around on the floor, even though she's an expert walker. For some reason, the floor was more fun to crawl on than walk on. When she saw me with the camera, she wanted to see the picture. She didn't know it was a movie instead. Listen to her little voice asking to "See."



Later that afternoon, Danny and Erin came over. We went to Vince's for spaghetti, because that's pretty much all they serve there. Oh sure, there ARE other things on the menu, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone order anything but spaghetti.

Nora had stolen her father's soup at lunch time. Albondigas soup. She decided she wanted to continue on in the same fashion at dinner time. She ate her soup, then she ate my soup, and perhaps she ate other people's soup too. She was a soup-eating girl that day.

Here comes the part of the narrative that some may be shocked at. I've never heard anyone badmouth Vince's. So, if you can't handle that, skip down to the next picture. I found the soup to be too salty for my taste. I also found the spaghetti to be only moderately tasty. (The sound of sucking in air and the shock and horror of that statement!) Sara found it to be plenty tasty. Or, perhaps it's all over her entire face because she didn't want to put it IN her mouth? No, I think it's a direct relative thing. You can't truly enjoy Vince's unless you're fully blood related. It can't be a marry-into-the-family thing. This was confirmed by Holly who says when she first went there she said it was good, just trying to be "nice." Later, she wondered "what's the big deal about Vince's? It's not that great!" However, my children seem to love it, and their children seem to love it, so I guess it's just a direct-line blood relation thing, handed down from their father and grandfather.
After Vince's, we went home and had cookies and ice cream. Danny and Erin stayed a while longer and visited with us. Would you like to see a blurry picture of them? I was still having camera issues. Ugh.

We all think Erin is a very nice woman. Thanks Danny, for letting us meet her!

5 comments:

Laura Read said...

Mom, I think that since being married to Bud, who won't eat garlic and thinks black pepper makes food spicy, you've forgotten how life is supposed to taste! As if you were just pretending for 25 years!!!!

Nora's world said...

I'm not saying Vince's is gross, I just don't see the huge deal... Maybe I am getting old. The last In-N-Out burger I had wasn't great either. If they got their enjoyment of Vince's from their grandfather, then got their hatred of pickles from you.

Ren said...

Brandon doesn't understand the huge excitement over Vince's either (which I think is pure blasphemy). I guess that will be the big test then, to see if Caleb's my kid or his. Although, currently, Caleb doesn't even like pasta. Maybe Vince's will win him over.

So did you buy Nora a hat?

samandholly said...

In defense of Mom's food phobic ways, she did eat the pot roast i made with an entire bottle of wine and lots of garlic and red pepper flakes; she even claimed to enjoy it!

I may have to break from the family and say that there is a definite nostalgia factor in the Vince's mystique. Honestly, I can make spaghetti that good...

Patti said...

I loved going to Vince's if for no other reason than it meant I didn't have to cook dinner. SJ, your dinner was fabulous. I don't eat garlic when I'm around Bud, but that doesn't mean I can't eat it other times. I guess I can take it or leave it.