Pin It!

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Chocolate


This morning on whatever morning program I was watching (might have been fox), they asked how much chocolate, on average, a Swiss person eats annually. They gave four different possibilities, but the answer was 22 pounds! Can you imagine? That means almost a half lb of chocolate per week. Do they exercise it off? Are they all huge people? Do they eat other sweets as well or are they exclusive chocolate-eaters? Now it makes me wonder, how much chocolate do Americans eat? And since we are super-sizers in America, does that mean we eat more chocolate than the Swiss?
In honor of this chocolate post, and because I only have four Christmas truffles left, I found this recipe online. I haven't tried it, but perhaps I shall this weekend. After all, it's Easter, right?

Chocolate Truffles
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter
3/4 cup cocoa
1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk (not evaporated milk)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
Cocoa or powdered sugar

Directions:
Melt butter in heavy saucepan over low heat. Add cocoa; stir until smooth. Add sweetened condensed milk; cook and stir constantly until mixture is thick, smooth and glossy, about 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cover; refrigerate 3 to 4 hours or until firm. Shape into 1 1/4 inch balls; roll in cocoa or powdered sugar. Refrigerate until firm, 1 to 2 hours. Store, covered, in refrigerator.

Makes about 2 1/2 dozen candies.
And unless you're Swiss, try not to eat them all in one sitting.

1 comment:

samandholly said...

Yeah, my recipe (cream, chocolate: heat cream, pour over chopped chocolate, chill, roll) was too complicated...