Pin It!

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Now That I Have More Time

Would you believe that from time to time I make something that is not dessert? For dinner the other night, we had meatloaf and smashed potatoes. Ignore the green beans. Blah.
My sister made the same menu for dinner on that same night. Pretty funny (just goes to show how much we think alike). However, she used ATK's meatloaf and Our Best Bites loaded mashed potatoes.
And then we had this for the "salad."
Or maybe it was dessert- I can't really remember. But I do remember that Karen said she liked it better than the ambrosia salad I always made when she was a kid, and she likes that a lot. This is actually called Cookie Salad, but because I didn't have the cookies it wanted, I left them out. That way I could more reasonably justify it as a salad.
Here's how my version of this one goes- it's a no-brainer.

Fruit Salad Dessert (adapted from Real Mom Kitchen)
1 (3.4 oz) pkg. instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup of milk
1/2 cup buttermilk (gives it a little zip!)
12 oz of cool whip
1 (20 oz) can pineapple tidbits, drained
1 (11 oz) can mandarin oranges, drained
2 bananas, sliced
1/2 cup raspberries (optional)
1/2 cup maraschino cherries, halved and well drained (I didn't have any- I used strawberries)

Mix the dry pudding mix, milk and buttermilk together with a whisk until it is well-blended. Fold in the Cool Whip and then gently fold in the fruit. Chill salad for about an hour before serving. I recommend eating your cookies separately, but if you want to be wild and crazy, the cookie in this salad is a fudge striped cookie (not a fudge stripped cookie, like it says on the blog this was adapted from). Click over to Real Mom Kitchen if you want to know how to include the cookies.


2 comments:

wylie said...

Wow you do cook things other than dessert ;)

wylie said...

. . . and it all looks delicious! I made the ATK's meatloaf a few weeks ago and actually kind of liked it (I'm not a big meatloaf fan). The recipe you used looks pretty good thanks for posting it!