I was all set to make a delicious dessert for our game night. This was the beginning of a very long baking day.

Here we have a cookie crust, pressed into the baking sheet and poked with a fork for ventilation.

Coconut mixed with melted butter, because the THREE sticks of butter in the crust evidently wasn't enough calories by itself.

Here's your best tip of the day. This is how I store my leftover coconut. When I open the bag, I use scissors to cut off the top of the bag, and then I use that cut strip to tie the bag back up. I do that with my frozen veggies too.

The recipe said bake until golden brown. If you look closely, you can see the butter still bubbling up from the crust. Evidently I over-baked it, because it was a brick.

A pineapple cream cheese filling...

topped with the coconut.

Looks pretty yummy, right? No. It was this nice filling sitting on a brick. It was break-your-teeth hard. But a couple of the people wanted to try it anyway. They liked the top a lot. Perhaps I'll try this again but either change the base or cook it less, and maybe rethink the butter quantities.

So I tried new-recipe #2. What was reported on a credible blog as really delicious, all the candy bar pieces sunk to the bottom of the cake making it a mass of sugar, hard and unedible.

My oldest has always said you don't try new recipes when people are coming over. You try them beforehand so you know what to expect. When will I learn?
I went with tried and true. We had Skookies, but even that nearly failed! I pulled the first three out of the oven only to see that the next three weren't quite done, so I left them in there and then they were practically burned. My nice guests swore they were still edible and they managed to choke them down after slathering them with ice cream and hot fudge sauce. At least my hot fudge sauce was perfect.
And we had a really fun night after we got past the dessert phase of the evening.
1 comment:
The skookies WERE delicious =) and the first dessert had an incredible flavor, but you were right the crust was hard.
Post a Comment