Pin It!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Another Ugly Yummy

I am still working on getting my oddball recipes organized. In the process of doing that, I stopped long enough to get my binder recipes organized within their respective categories. This red binder is desserts. No surprise, right Jenny? Except there are no cookie recipes in this binder, because cookies have a binder all to themselves. Yes, I have that many cookie recipes.
It's funny (not ha-ha funny) that I have oodles of recipes and yet I almost never use them. I have a husband who is content with some type of pan-fried meat, a frozen veggie heated in the microwave and a potato (he'd prefer it genuinely baked, but he never gets it that way) also cooked in the microwave. He thought this dinner was gourmet. Yes, it's ugly. Well, maybe not as ugly as yesterday's recipe, but still ugly.
Especially if you look at it up close. But it has all the yummy flavors I like.
It's on page 160 if you have the family cookbook, Lattice-topped Chicken. If you don't have the family cookbook, that's really so sad! We love this book! Don't we, family?

Lattice-topped Chicken
1 (10 3/4 oz) can condensed cream of potato soup (didn't have any- used mushroom)
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 (16 oz) pkg. frozen broccoli, carrots and cauliflower mixture, thawed (and drained, if necessary)
1 cup grated cheddar cheese, divided (too lazy- I had some Monterrey Jack already grated)
1 (2.8 oz) can French Fried onions, divided
1 pkg. crescent rolls

Combine soup, milk, chicken, vegetables, 1/2 cup cheese and 1/2 can onions. Pour into baking dish (something just a little smaller than a 9x13 if you have it). Cover with foil, and bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Separate crescent rolls into 2 rectangles. Press perforations to seal. Cut each lengthwise (or whatever fits your size pan) into strips. You can't really form a lattice top because as soon as the dough hits the warm stuff, it becomes too goopy to lift. Therefore, instead of making a lattice top, just twist the crescent roll dough and place it in one direction and then do the same for the opposite direction. Bake uncovered for 12-15 minutes. Top with remaining cheese and onions. Bake 3-5 minutes longer.
That's two french fried onion recipes in a row. I think it might be my favorite food, those onions.



2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Yes, truly love it. I was just talking to Lissie about wontons yesterday and that the recipe was in the family cookbook. She said she didn't know where her's is after so many moves, which makes her very sad.

Patti said...

I have the cookbook on cd still if Kyanna wants a copy of that.