
Since mine didn't last long enough to even take a picture of it, I'm stealing a picture from this post by Melanie over at My Kitchen Cafe, who stole the recipe from Paula Dean. We're just a bunch of thievin' misfits out here.
I wouldn't really call them bars though. It's more like cake. And on the icing (which I call frosting, don't you?) I made mine with 3 cups powdered sugar because I needed to sweeten up that cream-cheesey taste a little more, but you do it however you'd like.
Pumpkin Bars
from Paula Deen
Bars:
4 eggs
1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup vegetable oil (can substitute 1/2 cup applesauce for 1/2 cup oil)
15-ounce can pumpkin
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
Icing:
8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Using an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the eggs, sugar, oil and pumpkin until light and fluffy. Stir together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Add the dry ingredients to the pumpkin mixture and mix at low speed until thoroughly combined and the batter is smooth. Spread the batter into a greased 9 by 13-inch baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting. Cut into bars.
To make the icing: Combine the cream cheese and butter in a medium bowl with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the sugar and mix at low speed until combined. Stir in the vanilla and mix again. Spread on cooled pumpkin bars.
Dang good stuff. (Paula didn't say that, I did.)
5 comments:
I love Pumpkin Bars! YUM! How do you stay so thin with all the stuff you bake all the time? I get heavier just reading your blog everyday, since there's almost always something about food on it every day! YUMMY!
Oh, you just had to say pumpkin. I love fall and pumpkin is one of my favorite things to bake with. I will post on my blog my new favorite pumpkin recipes. Soon I hope. But I will definitely try these too. Ooooo pumpkin. Thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration!
Lord lord lord lord lord lord lord. (Bossy will now stuff her tongue back in her mouth.)
Holy COW! You guys probably have no idea how cool that was to have a comment left by BOSSY! Does anyone out there read her stuff? I feel like I've just been left a comment by one of the blogospere's biggest celebrities! BOSSY LOOKED AT MY BLOG AND LEFT A COMMENT!
oops...forgive the mis-spelling...blogosphere.
Post a Comment