Pin It!

Monday, September 29, 2008

Like a Fire is Burning?

Yesterday in church, just as the Sacrament was almost finished being passed to the congregation, we were all surprised that the fire alarm started beeping. Beeping isn't a strong enough word. Blaring, wailing, screaming, causing us all to go deaf, is more like it. And, if you were already deaf, the lights that accompanied the siren was also causing any epileptic in the group to start seizing. We all looked at the bishop, who looked at the Stake President (who just by coincidence happened to be in the meeting) and for some reason, no one freaked out. Babies were not screaming, people were not jumping up and running for the nearest exit. The first counselor got up and left the chapel while the deacons and teachers continued to finish their responsibilities. Then the bishop said the building had been checked and there was no cause for concern (other than the loss of our hearing) and we would wait a moment before starting the testimony portion of our meeting while they worked on getting the alarm turned off. We waited for several very long minutes (I couldn't be macho any longer and had to plug my left ear) and then just before the noise quit, the bishop got up again and said the Stake Pres had asked him to continue the meeting as he was sure the alarm would be shut off any moment. Just after that, the noise did stop and we all were grateful.
The last man to bear his testimony said words to this affect, which I agreed with and wanted to share with you: When the alarm went off, we didn't panic. We looked to our leaders and saw they were calm. They didn't bolt out of their chairs to run for cover. In this world where panic over finances, politics, economics and various other calamities are happening, we would do well to look to our Priesthood leaders and follow their examples.
How blessed we are to hear from the leaders of the church next week. I'll be listening. I hope you will too.
P.S. Sorry I didn't give you a tissue alert before posting President Hinckley's photos earlier. I realize that was a problem for some... next time I'll give the proper warning.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Thank you Sister!

LynnEl Springer said...

We had the same thing happen a few months ago in our ward. Only it happened just as we came OUT of Sac. Mtg. We all stood outside, as we could not stand the sound, while we waited for the fire dept to clear the building and turn off the alarm. A child set it off. No fire.