The recipe is from Lizzy Early at Your Cup Of Cake.
Lemon Raspberry Cream Cupcakes
1 box lemon cake mix (I used Duncan Hines)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup milk
3/4 cup oil
4 eggs
1 small box instant lemon pudding mix (I didn't have lemon. I used instant vanilla)
Raspberry Cream Frosting
1/2 cup butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese
1/3 cup raspberry jam or jelly
red food coloring (if desired)
1 1/2 to 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F. You're going to be mixing this by hand, so put away your mixer. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the milk, water, and oil and mix it together. Add the sour cream and pudding mix and combine. Add the cake mix, and if you want it to mix in easier, sift the cake mix before adding it to the bowl.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3 full and bake for 20-28 minutes (check with a toothpick to see if it's done. Mine were perfect at 20 minutes).
Beat cream cheese and butter for five minutes. If your jam is not seedless, press it through a strainer, then add it to the butter mixture. Add a drop or two of food coloring if you wish. I also added about 1 tsp. raspberry extract to boost the flavor a bit. Add powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.
Here is the critical part, in my opinion, to keeping your cupcakes moist. Don't over bake the cupcakes, but as soon as they are done, cool them on a rack for only five minutes and then put them in a 9x13 pan (or two) and cover them with Saran or a lid or foil or whatever, but cover them! This seals in the moisture that is so important to keeping them yummy!
This frosting was very soft for me. I think it was soft for Lizzy too because she mentioned that if it was too loose to refrigerate it. It didn't seem to help my frosting get any more firm, but it was still pipeable (yes, I know that isn't really a word).

No comments:
Post a Comment