Really, these couldn't be easier.
Start with a chocolate cake mix. Add two eggs and 1/2 cup butter-flavored Crisco. Don't shoot me, the Crisco makes the cookies less-flat. Just go with it.
Beat it all together, drop onto your cookie sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes at 350°F.
Pull them out, top them with a marshmallow (if you don't have flat ones like these, cut a large marshmallow in half and place the sticky side onto the cookie. And if you don't have large marshmallows, just pile a handful of miniatures onto the cookie). Put them back in the oven for two minutes. The original recipe said that when you pull them out again, press gently on the marshmallow to smoosh it down a little. Smoosh is a word, isn't it? I have found that smooshing is unnecessary. They flatten to the same level whether you smoosh or not. Let the cookies cool completely.
If you want super speedy, pop open a can of chocolate frosting and have at it. I don't own canned frosting. I'd have to go to Jenny's house to borrow some. So I tweaked Kate's recipe a little because I didn't want to open a can of evaporated milk just for 1/3 cup of the stuff. And, I wanted a stronger chocolate flavor.
This is the frosting I made:
1 lb. powdered sugar (that's about 4 cups or so)
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup butter, melted (1 stick)
1/2 cup milk chocolate chips, melted
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp vanilla extract or raspberry extract
Add the powdered sugar and cocoa powder in your mixing bowl. Give it a little stir to break up the lumps and blend it a little bit. Add the butter and chocolate chips, cream, and extract. Beat it until it's light and fluffy.
Pipe (or spread) the frosting onto the cookie, covering the marshmallow as much as possible. Since mine were more oblong and less round of a marshmallow, the sides peeked through. I was okay with that.
You know I can't resist sprinkles. These are tiny heart-shaped sprinkles. So cute.
Ready for delivery. It's really too bad that only five cookies fit on a plate. I guess I'll have to go eat the leftovers. Recipe makes 24-26 cookies.


8 comments:
So cute! I love your packaging too! I did open a large can of evap. milk and found out it was not, NOT good, so I used 1/2 and 1/2 instead!! :) Too funny. Also, I didn't have butter-flavored Crisco, so I just used the regular Crisco and then added some butter flavor to it, but I really didn't care for the butter flavoring in it at all. I should have left it as Crisco.
I want you to be my VT. :)
Oh, and I LOVE your cute bloggy backgrounds and decorations all over it! So, so appropriate and cute!
And I love that you posted three comments today! So fun! You don't need me to be your VT because you already have these cookies at your house, but otherwise, there's a house for sale in our neighborhood for only $279,000. It's on the same street as Cheryl's house. I think you should buy it.
Oh yeah LynnEl, you should totally buy it. I wish we could, but we need to finish school first. You buy it, because I would visit you ALL the time if you lived near my mom. Don't tell, but you're my favorite! Andrew might go crazy though. Well, it's worth the sacrifice, right!
Well I think you BOTH should buy houses in the neighborhood. I know Laura and really, really enjoy her and just know I would love LynnEl. =) and I too was thinking the exact same thing that I wished Patti was my VTer; but I can just ask for a treat anytime anyway right?
Seriously!! Am I the only one out there that uses canned frosting or just the only one you mention? FYI: I NEVER buy syrup. Nothing but homemade in my house! Maybe you could include that in one of your posts:). The cookies look delicious. I love the sprinkles:).
I read this blog too Laura! ;)
As much as I want you too buy a house and move here Nel, the one on the corner isn't that great, although my street has the best street parties in the neighborhood! The cookies were a fabulous treat for our ladies. Thanks sister!
Post a Comment