Pin It!

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Your Not You're

Last week we went to St. George. Being Valentine's weekend, the bakery at Lin's had many items pre-made. Every cake or cookie that used the word that should have been "you're" was spelled "your". Now, if it had only happened on one thing I would have overlooked it. Or, if the lady from the bakery wasn't standing right there loading more items onto the table, I wouldn't have hunted the baking/decorating people down to tell them. But since she was there, I told her I had a grammar issue with her decorator (hoping it wasn't actually HER that did the decorating). She seemed alarmed and asked what the problem was.

I'm borrowing this photo from Cake Wrecks (have I told you lately how much I love Cake Wrecks?). I had to borrow the picture because I couldn't remember my sign-in info to Flickr (had to use my phone camera at the store because my purse camera didn't have an SD card in it) and they (Yahoo) locked me out for "security reasons." By the way, the bakery lady said she'd let the decorator know about the mistakes.

I hope it wasn't mean of me to point it out. I'm conflicted all because of the reality show "True Beauty" and is this a complaining thing on my part or a whoops your dress is accidentally tucked into your underwear kind of a thing and let me help you fix it to save you from further embarrassment. I just don't know. What would you have done?

4 comments:

Jenny said...

That's a tough one. This is something I would expect from Walmart. Anyhow, depending on the mood I was in I would have told someone in the store. That is embarassing for the store and I think they would appreciate the heads up! We were in St. George for Valentines Day too.

Stacey said...

I definitely would've told...Well, maybe I wouldn't have told...But I would've made fun of it outloud, hoping someone in the store would hear me and fix it. Or I would've told....and asked if I could get a discount because it was wrong. Either way, it makes me look like a jerk! :)

Cheryl said...

Like you, I wouldn't have hunted someone down to tell them of the error, but I would've said something while checking out so they could let someone know, that way I wouldn't have to do it directly, or like Stacey, if I was really interested in an item that was done incorrectly, I would have asked for a discount. I don't think you have to be pedantic when correcting someone, but sometimes it's better to let them know their dress is tucked in their underwear!

Bekah said...

I think that there would be nothing they would do to fix it. But it might help them to figure out why no one is buying them.
This is the sort of improper grammer that drives my brother bananas.