Pin It!

Friday, April 11, 2008

"Emma Smith: My Story"

Last night we went to see this movie. We got to go to the premiere showing because of the elite circle I belong to. Well, not so much ME, it's Bud that's got the elite blue blood and I just tagged along. Because he is a Smith and Joseph was his great great uncle, we got free tickets. I invited Cheryl and Kim to come with us. I tried to watch the movie through eyes of a 'gentile' and if I did that, the movie at times presupposed you already were familiar with story and could therefore feel a little disjointed. However, Bud and I both felt that they did as good a job as could have been done with taking a huge storyline and condensing it and still make you feel connected with what was happening, and more importantly, the feelings that Joseph and Emma had for each other. I learned some new things that I had not known before, such as Emma taking in her second husband's illegitimate child when the child's mother could not care for him, and then hired the boy's mother as a maid so she could spend time with the boy as much as possible, but Emma raised the boy as if he were her own. Before the movie was shown, they asked us all to remain seated after the credits had rolled so they could make an announcement (code word for ask for donations). It was cool to see everyone still sitting there through the end of the movie and end of the credits. Granted, they'd asked us to do it, but somehow it was a reverent moment. It was a touching story, and I would give it a thumbs up. And, in the credits it named Ben Cummins. Karen, would that be OUR Ben Cummins?
As for the winner of yesterday's post...drum roll please!
Amy! She's the only one who listed all the people (even if it was a guess on Laura with Grandpa Bill, she guessed right). My own children probably knew who everyone was, but sadly, they didn't make a list, so Amy wins. Next time I see you, I'll give you your prize (I just might be able to give away that Trisha CD yet!). Hmmm...perhaps you'd rather a home-cooked meal instead? And thanks for the cool comment Amy. I'll look into modeling for my next career.

No comments: