Pin It!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Melted Snowman Cookies

I've recently seen several versions of melted snowman cookies. Like this one here, which is the original, and this one here, which is actually my favorite. Click over, those guys are really cute!
But to be a little different from them, I thought I'd try making some with just the things I had on hand. For a terrific tutorial, click here.


Start with any sugar cookie (or gingerbread) dough. Cut out a circle of dough about the size of your palm, and bake about 6 minutes at 350°F, or until the edges are just starting to brown. Allow the cookies to cool and then frost with any canned or homemade icing (you may need to thin the icing a little so that it flows easily). Spray a microwave-safe plate with cooking spray and place regular-sized marshmallows on the plate. Microwave them for a few seconds, just until they start to puff up. Remove the plate of marshmallows and carefully (you may need to spray or wet your fingers) pull the marshmallows off the plate and position them on your frosted cookie. Decorate your snowman any way you'd like. I used fruit roll-ups for the scarf, mini M&M's for the buttons and mouth, pretzel sticks for the arms (shoestring licorice would have been better, but I didn't have any) mini chocolate chips for the eyes and Mike & Ike candies (trimmed to fit) for the mouth. Take a look through your cupboards and see what you have to make some melted snowmen, and let your kids or grandkids get in on the fun.
If I make them again, I'll make the decorations with my parchment bags and tips so they come out more like the ones I think are cutest. In fact, maybe I'll just go do that right now.