Karen? Are you reading this? Or did you see the coconut on that cookie and throw your computer across the room vowing never to look at my blog again?
Well, this recipe is just a straight oatmeal cookie. It was my own whacky brain that added the coconut. That's just how I am. Karen? Are you sure I'm your mother? Are you sure you're my daughter?
These cookies were excellent. Even if you left the coconut out, since that's how the recipe goes, they're still very good. But the coconut makes them excellent. Unless you hate coconut. Karen?
Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
3/4 cup butter-flavor Crisco shortening (Samuel, don't judge!)
1 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon (I used 1/2 tsp)
1 cup raisins
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (okay- YUCK! this is where I substituted the coconut, 1 cup of it)
Heat oven to 375 degrees.
Combine shortening, brown sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until well blended.
Combine oats, flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Mix into shortening mixture at low speed just until blended. Stir in raisins and (coconut) walnuts (yuck).
Drop by rounded measuring tablespoonfuls of dough 2 inches apart onto baking sheets sprayed with non-stick cooking spray (seriously, can't I just say Pam?).
Bake one baking sheet at a time at 375 degrees (does anyone know a keyboard shortcut to make the little circley degree symbol?) for 10-12 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool 2 minutes on baking sheets. Remove cookies to cooling rack to cool completely.
You can see that some of the cookies are plain, some are topped with the Almond Joy Pieces (they worked well here!) and some are sprinkled with even more coconut.
Sorry, Karen. I'll try not to talk about coconut for the rest of the month. Oh wait, that only means until next Monday! I think I can do that :)
P.S. On a Mac, the circley degree symbol is made by pressing shift + option + 8. Like this °. On a PC it's alt 248. Now you know.
P.S. On a Mac, the circley degree symbol is made by pressing shift + option + 8. Like this °. On a PC it's alt 248. Now you know.
5 comments:
Paradise Bakery has a toasted coconut cookie that is amazing. Maybe these are similar?
I have only tried Paradise's coconut chocolate chip cookie, and it is devine! I would love to have made these with chocolate chips instead of raisins, but Bud prefers raisins over chocolate. I can't understand that. Raisins are fine, but chocolate is better!
I'm so with you on the raisins/chocolate debate. Once my life is "normal" again, I'm making these w/chocolate chips, NUTS and coconut! YUM!
Really? I mean, really? You tell me that you have a blog post just for me and then you title it "Karen, Don't Even Read This"??? Fine. I didn't read it.
Such an obedient child.
Post a Comment