Pin It!

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Go Local

I received a newspaper article from a patient in the mail today. Seems random, I know. But it was about eggs, and we'd just been talking about hens and chickens and such a few days ago when she was in the office. Did you happen to see the article in the Sunday paper (sorry, I don't know if it was the Trib or Deseret News) about eggs?
Now I feel like I never want to buy eggs from the store again! Here's what I learned (read on at your own risk!).
Commercially produced eggs come from hens which are tightly packed in cages and never see the sun or grass. They're de-beaked to avoid pecking injuries, they're fed low quality feed and pumped full of antibiotics. The eggs aren't laid in tidy nests so they must be washed in a chlorine bleach solution that strips away the shell's natural protective coating and can also allow bacteria such as salmonella to enter the egg.
After reading that article, I looked into some possibilities for buying local from a farmer who has free-range chickens. I came across a page of local businesses that I thought would be fun to support now and again. If you're not local to where I am, I'm sure you can pull up local folks to support in your area as well.
Is there anyone out there that wants to defend the commercial egg farmer? Have I been given only one side of the story and am now judging unfairly? After all, I've eaten store-bought eggs all my life and don't seem too much the worse for wear for having done it. I still think I'll check out the local guy.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Welcome back! I have been on a 3 week hiatus myself!