My daughter came to visit for the weekend (with my three adorable grandchildren) and she was hungry when she arrived. She asked if I had any potato soup. You'd think I would have, but I didn't. GASP! I had every other kind of soup, but no potato soup. I did have a couple of potatoes, so in a jiffy we had potato soup!
Cheesy Potato Soup (an original recipe!)
2-3 large potatoes, peeled
water for boiling
1 tsp salt
2 T butter
1/4 cup flour
1 cup water
2 1/2 cups milk (I used 1%)
2T chicken base, or 2 cubes of bouillon
1/4 cup dried onion (or 1/2 cup fresh, chopped)
1/4 cup dried carrots (or 1/2 cup fresh, diced)
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 tsp seasoned salt (or to taste)
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I used mild cheddar)
Boil potatoes in enough water to cover, until potatoes are tender when pierced with a fork. Drain potatoes and set aside. In the same pot, add the butter until melted. Add the flour and whisk it together. Slowly add the water, whisking continually until there are no lumps. Add the milk and chicken base. Add the potatoes, vegetables and salt. Use your potato masher to break the potatoes up a little bit. Simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add the cheese and stir until melted.
No comments:
Post a Comment