Pin It!

Monday, December 20, 2010

Cartegena, Columbia

To start our trip, we flew to Ft. Lauderdale and happily joined up with Bud's grand daughter and her family. It had been a couple years since we'd seen them and the kids have grown so much since then. We took them to dinner and didn't realize that Bud didn't get his credit card back until we tried to check into our hotel (at midnight). Adam drove us back to the restaurant, we got the card back and all was well. Thanks for all the taxi service, Adam!
Our first port was Cartegena, the drug capitol of the world. We didn't see any drugs though. We didn't take any excursions through the ship. We just got off at each stop and paid independent operators for a tour. There were about 17 people on our minibus for this tour.
This is some fort. I know, I'm a wealth of details.
This was across the street from the fort. There was trash all around the city. Not pleasant.
I thought this was a statue of some kind. No, they're real live boys, pretending to be statues.
More real live boys. They want you to put dollars in their cans. I took their picture, but stingily didn't put a dollar in their can. I should have.
This is the plaza in the Old Town part of Cartegena.
Tuppence a bag...
Every town seems to have one. They served us a free drink. I had 7-up. Bud had nothing.
They had these cool metal scenes around the plaza. Here's a dentist with the dentist.
Check out the lady with fruit on her head. If you take your picture with her, you have to pay her money. I'm not sure if the fruit was for sale or not, but I wouldn't want to buy it!
On this excursion we spent more time waiting around than sightseeing. We were told we would be at the fort for 20 minutes. It was almost an hour before we left because I guess some people don't know how to tell time. Then we stopped at this shopping area. Bud bought a lace table cloth for $10. We waited another 45 minutes at what was supposed to be a 20 minute stop. The on-time people were getting pretty bugged at the late people.
Lastly, we stopped at this jewelry store where most of what they sold was jade. We didn't want to be there, and I don't think anyone bought anything.
After re-reading this post, I know that it sounds very negative, and I guess that's the correct feeling. We didn't like the tour, we didn't like the city and we were hot all day. We hoped it could only get better from here. It did.

2 comments:

wylie said...

Oh good, you started blogging about the cruise. So far, I am opting out of going on a cruise like this BUT you have a few more posts to convince me =)

LynnEl Springer said...

Yes, you should have put a dollar in each of their cans, you took their pictures, they deserve to be paid. Cheapskate! :( I would have! I think!!!