Pin It!

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Caleb's "Sour" Pancakes

Let's start by saying these pancakes are NOT sour, even though that's what Caleb named them. I made pancakes for Caleb three days in a row, and by the third day, we didn't have any more buttermilk. I told Karen it was still fine, we'd make our own by souring the milk with vinegar. Caleb picked up on the word "sour" and named the pancakes from that.
These take just a little more work than your "just add water" pancakes, but they're worth it.
You have to separate the egg whites from the yolks, and beat the whites. That's the most time consuming part of this operation.
Then you stir everything together...
Then Nana cooks the pancakes and...
Caleb eats them and eats them and eats them until...
they're gone!
Karen has NEVER liked pancakes. When she was little, if the rest of us were eating pancakes I'd make her "swiss toast." Instead of french toast where you dip the bread in egg, I'd dip her bread in pancake batter. I'm telling you this story because when she finished eating theses pancakes, she said "Those were really good!" I'd never heard those words from her in my entire life in regards to pancakes! So here you go- Really Good Pancakes.

Really Good Pancakes (aka Caleb's Sour Pancakes)
3 eggs, separated
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted and cooled
2 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Beat egg whites and sugar until they form soft peaks but will hold it's shape. Drizzle in melted butter until combined. In a separate bowl, add yolks, buttermilk, flour, salt and baking soda. Stir until just combined (don't over-stir). Fold in egg white mixture. If batter is too thick, add a little more buttermilk.
Cook pancakes on hot griddle and serve to some hungry people. This makes about 2 dozen pancakes.
Thanks for the recipe, Julie C.!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Sounds like a lot of work but I am going to have to give them a try. I thought you only beat egg whites for merengue and royal icing!