Pin It!

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This Was Soup-er!

When Laura was here last winter, she made some soup. It was so memorable that I asked her to find the recipe for me so I could make it for my dinner party.
My company raved about it and demanded (in a nice way) the recipe. I think the soup was the hit of the party. This recipe comes from Family Fun Magazine, however, it is not low-calorie :(

Creamy Mushroom and Chicken Soup (I don't know why the mushrooms get top billing)
6 T butter
1 medium onion, chopped
3 T flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
6 cups chicken broth
1 1/2 lbs sliced mushrooms
3/4 cup sliced celery
3/4 cup chopped carrots
2 cups quartered baby red potatoes
1 cup chopped yellow squash (the kind like zucchini, but yellow)
1 1/2 cups frozen corn (thaw it if you want- I didn't)
2 tsp thyme (I have some growing in my yard. Come over, I'll give you some)
2 cups light cream (half and half)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for garnish, if desired
2 cups chopped cooked chicken

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender and translucent (I forgot to buy onions so I threw in a handful of dehydrated onions from my food storage). Stir in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook for about a minute. Add the chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring soup to a boil. Add all the vegetables and the thyme. Decrease heat to low and simmer soup about 30 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
Add the cream, cheese and chicken. Heat the soup for 10 minutes longer but don't let it boil.
Ladle into bowls and add additional cheese, if desired.
I made this soup two nights in a row. The first night, I forgot to add the Parmesan cheese, and I purposefully did not add the chicken. The second night I made it as given here. To tell you the truth, I liked it better the first night, which is when our company was there. They could not stop saying how fabulous it was. Give this one a try, with or without the cheese and/or chicken. It's soup weather here. We had our first snowfall yesterday! Five months almost exactly since our last snowfall.

No comments: