Last weekend we bought some corn on the cob in St. George. It was SO good and tender and sweet. It was so delicious we bought more on our way out of town and we have been enjoying it everyday since then.Here's how I cook them if I'm only cooking 1 or 2 at a time- open the microwave door, place unshucked ear of corn inside, close door, cook on high for 4 minutes per ear. Shuck it when it's cool enough that you don't burn your hands or use a couple of paper towels to hold the ear while shucking. It's really easy to pull off the husk and the silk after it's cooked.
I did all that Wednesday evening. Anxiously awaiting the yummy buttery salty corn that would soon be mine, I grabbed the corn and pulled. Out popped a green worm! I screamed, dropped the corn on the counter, the worm bounced off my thumb and into the sink. It was only then that I confirmed positively that it was absolutely, definitely dead (who could survive 8 minutes in the microwave when you're the size of a worm?). Gross!
I cut off about 2 inches of the cob and put the "cut" ear on my plate and the "good" ear on Bud's plate . When Bud came to the table, being the chivalrous man that he is, switched ears with me. Whew! Yay! It was grossing me out just knowing what used to be on it/in it- and he's a farm boy from way back so it didn't bother him! I enjoyed my corn as best as I could, even though I'd just been through some horrific moments seconds earlier. I think the solution to this is to make Bud shuck all the corn from now on. So gross. So, so gross.
3 comments:
A worm in your corn is supposed to mean that it's sweeter than usual. Worms don't like unsweet corn - so it's a good thing when they decide to raid your kernels.
Nice of Bud to eat it for you, though.
Ewwww, that would make me lose my appetite too.
One good reason to shuck and boil like I do. I am going to try your microwave trick though. Much easier! I had a similar experience when I was eating an artichoke only it was cosily nestled in the middle and I had already eaten half. It was dead. Somehow I managed to keep my liking of artichokes.
Post a Comment