I'd never made a cream pie from scratch before, always opting for Jell-O to rescue me with their pudding mix (usually instant).
I did take the easy way out on the crust though. I had 3 pre-made crusts in the pantry, so I picked the shortbread crust (the other 2 were Oreo chocolate) and got started.
I have adapted the original Coconut Cream Angel Pie by Ginny Werkmeister, Tilden NE, published by Taste of Home recipe to the following:
FILLING:
1/2 cup Domino® or C&H® Granulated Pure Cane Sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked (or a graham cracker crust)
1/2 cup Domino® or C&H® Granulated Pure Cane Sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
3/4 cup flaked coconut
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp coconut extract
1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked (or a graham cracker crust)
4 oz Cool Whip or sweetened whipped cream
1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
Directions: In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared shell.
1/4 cup flaked coconut, toasted
Directions: In a small heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk; stir until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir for 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in the coconut, butter and vanilla. Pour into prepared shell.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Just before serving, spread Cool Whip or whipping cream over pie and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Yield: 8 servings.
2 comments:
Yes, it was definitely good! Way good! In fact, it was so good, I wish I had another piece right now! I have some almond joys in my candy dish if you're still needing a coconut fix sister.
That looks SO good!! I wasn't craving pie or coconut, but I think I am now =)
Post a Comment