I have a dear friend who can no longer process animal protein. We've been spending some extra time with him and to give his sweet wife a break, I've been cooking some of the dinners. While these are avocado chicken enchiladas, I just left the chicken out of a few of them so he could still eat the dinner too.
If I keep blogging Six Sisters' Stuff recipes I'm going to have to give them their own label like I did for Our Best Bites! This starts with a homemade enchilada sauce which makes these super tasty. I spooned extra sauce over the top of this enchilada, so you aren't really seeing the cheese under there.
Avocado Chicken Enchiladas from Six Sisters' Stuff
Sauce
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 T butter
1 T all-purpose flour
1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
1 cup mild or medium salsa verde
1/2 cup chopped cilantro (obbbbbbviously, I left this out!!! Blech!)
Enchiladas
3 to 4 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese, divided
3 avocados, peeled and chopped
8 flour tortillas
1/2 - 3/4 cup French Fried onions
Preheat oven to 375°F. In a medium saucepan, sauté garlic in butter about 1 minute on medium heat. Stir in flour and cook about 2 more minutes. Stir in broth, cumin, salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream, salsa verde and cilantro (if you're using it).
Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Add about 1/2 cup sauce to the pan and spread until bottom of dish is evenly coated.
On each tortilla, add some chicken, cheese and avocado to one end. Roll it up and place it seam-side down in pan. Pour remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Cover with 1 cup of cheese and bake uncovered about 20 minutes or until cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle the French Fried onions over the top of the casserole and bake 3-5 minutes longer until the onions are golden.
Makes 8 servings.


No comments:
Post a Comment