Pin It!

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Favorite Cookies Ev-ah! Edited!

Sadly, this post must be edited. I made these cookies my own self tonight. I bit into it when it was cool enough to handle. What? That wasn't the same irresistible cookie I ate a few days ago when I couldn't stop eating them. What happened? 
Luckily, Laura was here when I made these tonight. I asked her why they were different. She then had to CONFESS! She didn't follow the recipe exactly. What was different? Twice the zest and twice the lemon juice. I even doubled my recipe, so I had four dozen cookies that were only meh-okay. I take away my rave review from Lauren Brennan and give new credit to Laura Read for the most incredible cookie ev-ah! The recipe has been edited to the new and improved recipe and I rescind former credit and now give credit where credit is due, to Boo (aka Laura). 

(This was the original posted text, but the recipe is revised.) A couple of weeks ago, I pinned these cookies. When my sister saw the pinned recipe, she asked to taste one. I had hoped to make them for Bud's birthday party, but it didn't happen. I was away for just under an hour today, and when I came home, Laura was in the process of putting these on the cookie sheet to be baked. I tasted some of the dough, just as Laura was letting Eliot play with the last bit of dough. I was envious, because I wanted more. I would just have to wait for the finished product. 

When they were cool enough to bite into, I did so and Laura asked how they were. I said, "They are DIVINE!" I immediately sent a text to my sister asking if she was home. She said she was just getting into the car. I told her to stop by on her way out (that's one of the things that is so neat about living in the same neighborhood). I gave her a cookie. She bit into it and Laura asked how it was. She said, "DIVINE!" Laura and I laughed, since that was the very word I had used. These are indeed divine! Laura said, "As soon as you finish eating one, you want to start eating another one!" The (adapted) recipe comes from an unexpected source, LDS Living Magazine. I would suggest doubling this recipe since it only makes two dozen, and that doesn't leave any to share. At least that's how it worked around here. 

Lemon Crinkle Cookies (by Laura Read)
½ cups butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 whole egg
zest of one lemon
fresh lemon juice from 1/2 lemon (about 2 T)
¼ teaspoons salt
¼ teaspoons baking powder
⅛ teaspoons baking soda
1-½ cup all-purpose flour (by weight this will be 180 grams of flour)
½ cups powdered sugar

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease light colored baking sheets with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whip in vanilla, egg, lemon zest, and juice. Scrape sides and mix again. Stir in all dry ingredients slowly (
excluding the powdered sugar) until just combined, . Scrape sides of bowl and mix again briefly. Pour powdered sugar onto a large plate. Roll a heaping teaspoon of dough into a ball and roll in powdered sugar. Place on baking sheet and repeat with remaining dough.

Bake for 8-11 minutes or until bottoms begin to barely brown and cookies look matte (not melty or shiny). Remove from oven and cool cookies about 3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

*If using a non-stick darker baking tray, reduce baking time by about 2 minutes.



No comments: