Pin It!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Bread and Jam

Saturday was jam-making day. Costco has the nicest looking berries, and I found them completely irresistible! Because my brain has gone quiet spacey these days, I knew that making five batches of jam was going to get me in trouble when it came time to add the sugar if I didn't come up with a system. Here's my system. I first used my measuring cups to weigh out 4 1/2 cups of sugar and poured all that sugar onto my food scale. It was 2 pounds exactly. I poured that into a ziplock and repeated the weighing process for the other four batches. No more thinking involved.
Deliciousness. Cheryl, since Kim has given all your jam away, you may have some of mine.
My assignment for Mother's Day dinner was to bring the rolls. I wanted to try a new recipe. You know Samuel's rule- the one I always seem to ignore? Don't try a new recipe when company is coming. Go with tried and true! Um, yeah- new recipe here. So far, they look pretty great. This is just before I popped them in the oven.
And this is what they looked like when they came out of the oven.
This recipe made 4 dozen rolls! That's a lot of rolls!
Everyone told me they tasted as good as they looked, so I got lucky! Whew.
Since I posted a less than stellar picture of my mom for Mother's Day, I thought I'd show you how great she looked yesterday.
Happy Mother's Day, Mom. I think she looks great for almost 80!
The roll recipe is from a book that my mom was throwing away re-gifting. I adopted it, but I don't think it counts that I have to get rid of one of my books to make room for it since I didn't purchase the book (that's justification, right?).

Sharon's Rolls (from "Five-Star Recipes from well-known Latter-Day Saints")
Submitted by Sharon G. Larsen

1 cup butter (or margarine- I used butter)
2 pkg. dry yeast (I used 2 T instant yeast)
2 T sugar
2 cups lukewarm water
1 cup sugar
6 eggs, beaten
8 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt

Melt butter and cool slightly. Mix yeast, 2 T sugar and water; make sure your yeast is going to get happy and bubbly before proceeding. Add butter, sugar and eggs to the yeast mixture. Mix well. Stir in flour and salt; let rise about 2 hours. Stir down the dough, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Remove from refrigerator and place on floured surface. separate dough into four equal hunks of dough (no the recipe didn't say hunk). Roll each piece into a large circle. Spread circle with butter. Using a pizza cutter, cut circle into twelve equal pie-shaped pieces. Roll each wedge up, starting from the outside wide end to the point. Place rolls on parchment-lined sheet, with the point underneath so it won't unroll when it rises.
Let rise 4-5 hours. Bake at 375°F for 10 minutes. Brush with melted butter as soon as you take them out of the oven.
This is what it looks like if you don't "tuck your tails." This was from a previously posted recipe. I learned my lesson then to tuck my tail!

4 comments:

Cheryl said...

The rolls were fabulous! I panicked last night thinking I had given all the extras away and didn't have any for us, but then found them in the pantry instead of on the counter...whew. Total yumminess! And thanks for the offer of the jam...I may have to take you up on that!!

Laura Read said...

I expect freshly baked bread twice a week and jam to last all summer long. Doable???

Patti said...

Boo- yes, it's doable. Especially the jam part. I've got PLENTY of jam!

Deborah said...

I always break the rule and make recipes that I haven't tried before for company. Luckily, it turns out good more often than bad! These rolls do look amazing!