Pin It!

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Happy Birthday Mom!

Today is my mother's birthday. Happy Birthday to you (pretend Agnes is singing it, then it will be cuter)!

This is the cake I made for her because she doesn't like chocolate. How does one not like chocolate?


Hawaiian Dessert
TOH '95; pg. 223 (TOH means Taste of Home, if you needed to know, and that's their picture of the dessert. Question- at what point does a cake become dessert instead of just a cake with pudding?)

1 pkg. (18¼ oz) yellow cake mix
3 pkg. (3.4 oz each) instant vanilla pudding
4 cups cold milk
1½ tsp coconut extract
1 pkg. (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, well drained
2 cups whipping cream, whipped and sweetened
(or 8 oz. Cool Whip)
2 cups flaked coconut, toasted

Mix cake batter according to package directions.
Pour into two greased 13x9x2 inch baking pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until the cakes test done. Cool completely. In a large mixing bowl, combine pudding mixes, milk and coconut extract; beat for 2 minutes. Add the cream cheese and beat well. Stir in pineapple. Spread over the cooled cakes. Top with whipped cream; sprinkle with coconut. Chill for at least 2 hours.
Prepared dessert can be covered and frozen for up to 1 month.

Okay, that's the way the recipe reads.

This what it looks like when you don't have a professional making it and taking its picture (again...lighting issues. "They" say you're not supposed to use your flash when taking food pictures. I guess food with red eye is unsightly, so no flash).
I put all the batter in a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. When it was cooled, I split it in half. I guess I didn't want to wash a second pan, and I wanted my cake to be bigger-taller-more caloric. Tell me why it starts with vanilla pudding and adds coconut extract rather than just using coconut pudding and forgetting about the extract? Besides, that stuff is expensive! So if I make it again, I'm going that route. Maybe this recipe is so old that they didn't make coconut pudding then. After splitting the cake, I poured half of the pudding mixture between the cakes and poured the rest on top, and put the Cool Whip on top of the pudding mixture. Oh, and I also used a large box of pudding and a small box of pudding and then decreased my milk by 1/2 cup. It was more cost effective that way and it made plenty. You can also cut the toasted coconut by half as the 2 cups worth was meant to cover both cakes.
Everyone said they liked it, so either they lied to spare my tender feelings, or you should try it unless you actually prefer chocolate, unlike some people.

2 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

GREAT picture of Mom - and then the candle - hmmmmmmmmm...I think it said something on it - like OLD FA.. hmmmmmmmmmm I notice that the words are not facing Mom! Pretty funny!

LynnEl Springer said...

And anything with coconut is good! And when did she decide she doesn't want or like chocolate???