Pin It!

Friday, May 24, 2013

Maiden Voyage

I guess I shouldn't really call it a voyage since it didn't travel anywhere, but I broke out the new Kitchen Aid mixer this morning (I was kind of celebrating something!).
Here it is- out of the box and ready to go. 

Look how much easier it is to add stuff and take pictures of the tornado happening inside the bowl. 

Here's what I made. I'm going to call them Big Island Cookies because they're big (I used the large scoop- nine cookies to a pan. And they have coconut, macadamia nuts and white chocolate chips packed in there. Since I relate macadamia nuts to Hawaii (specifically the "Big Island", since I've been to the Mauna Loa factory twice there), that's going to be the name. That, and it's too much trouble to say White Chocolate Chip cookies with Macadamia nuts and Coconut. 

Big Island Cookies
1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened slightly
1 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 T vanilla extract
3 cups flour (or 430 grams if you want to weigh it)
1/2 tsp kosher salt
11 tsp baking soda
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup macadamia nuts, roughly chopped
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven to 350°F. 
Beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugars and beat until light and fluffy;  then add eggs and vanilla. Add the flour, salt and baking soda. Mix just until incorporated. Add the nuts, chips and coconut and mix until it's all together and everyone is being friends with everyone else. 
Use a large cookie scoop (or spoon) to dollop a golf ball-sized amount of dough onto the cookie sheet (my pan doesn't have to be greased, so I hope the dough doesn't stick to your pan. If you think it might, give it a shot of cooking spray or use a parchment paper). Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are just starting to brown (barely). Makes about 3 dozen cookies. 




No comments: