Pin It!

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle

We had some friends come over last night. I was going to make this for dessert, but after looking at the new OBB Savoring the Seasons book (you all have yours, right?), I opted for something else.
After all, it is the season for pumpkin. 

I made my own gingerbread from this recipe. Then I followed the recipe for the gingerbread pumpkin trifle on page 194 of this book.

In case you just haven't been able to pick your copy up yet, I'll share the recipe with you. 

Gingerbread Pumpkin Trifle
Bake gingerbread according to directions (either from a mix or make your own like I did). 
3 cups heavy whipping cream
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mousse
1/4 cup cold water
1 (1-ounce) pkg. unflavored gelatin
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp nutmeg, plus additional for garnish
1/8 tsp cloves

Combine heavy cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until medium-stiff peaks form and then set this aside. 
For the mousse: 
Place the water in a microwaveable bowl (I used my Pyrex measuring cup- it saves on washing dishes) and sprinkle the gelatin over the water. Stir gently, then let it sit for 5 minutes to soften. 
Combine the pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves in a medium mixing bowl. Whisk to combine. 
Place dish of gelatin in microwave for 30-40 seconds (watch it carefully so it doesn't boil over the container!), then stir until it is completely dissolved (otherwise your mousse will have little rubbery bits in it). Add gelatin to pumpkin mixture, whisking until it is fully combined. 
Fold a third of the whipped cream into the pumpkin mixture and mix well. 
Assemble the trifle with layers of gingerbread, pumpkin mixture and whipped cream. Garnish with a sprinkle of nutmeg. Refrigerate for an hour before you serve it. 

I need to find smaller dishes because none of us could finish our trifle, but maybe that was because we ate too much delicious dinner beforehand! As soon as I get the recipe we ate for dinner, I'll share that with you. It was goooood! 

3 comments:

LynnEl Springer said...

I want to be invited to your gatherings. We have found that we don't fit in with the 'gatherings' around here anymore. I need to move to be by you so we can have fun again! :)

Patti said...

Get over here, right now! Enough of this dilly dally already!

Cheryl said...

I second the motion! Move here right now.