Pin It!

Friday, October 5, 2012

Family Crafting

I saw a project online and knew I wanted to make it! If you haven't tapped in to Burton Avenue's blog yet, you've been missing out!
I looked at Lowe's for suitable wood. Nothing. After girl's lunch out on Tuesday, Cheryl and I swung by The Wood Connection and bingo! Found my wood. The problem was the individual sticks were too long (but that meant I only had to buy half as many!). I enlisted a helper!
Measuring 

Cutting

Fixing the point (I liked it more pointy than how it came)

And while you're at it...I have all these blocks that need to be cut! 

Burton Ave used the stencil approach to make their street signs. 

So I tried it their way. Here's the black paint smeared over the stencil. 

Fail. It leaked under the tape. 
So, since I originally cut out the words using red vinyl, I had to go back to square one and re-cut in black vinyl so I could just slap the vinyl on the wood rather than painting in the negative space.

The original directions nailed their boards into place. I wanted to be able to remove my signs from the post that was holding them so I could store it more easily. I decided magnets was the way to go. I glued (E6000) the magnets to the sign and to the post.  When the glue was set, I sprayed it with a coat of sealer. When I picked it all up, I realized magnets might not have been the best idea after all. One bump and all the boards came crashing down. I might have to remove the magnets and apply velcro instead (velcro was my original idea anyway). We shall see how well it holds up. 




8 comments:

Stacey said...

That is such a cute project! It turned out fantastic!!

Laura Read said...

I love it!

Cheryl said...

Good job! It looks better than the one you showed me to begin with. Fun, fun!

Michele said...

That turned out super cute! Nice job!

Ren said...

Love it!! Did you put out the rest of our Halloween decorations?

Patti said...

No, not yet. I'll work on getting them out next week.

LynnEl Springer said...

Very cute! I have questions tho...I'll call you later!

Terry said...

That is way cute!!