Pin It!

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Oreo Brownies With Cream Cheese Frosting

Karen was disappointed with the cupcakes I made a few days ago because all she could taste was the cinnamon. No one else that ate them thought it was a problem, but it was for her. Anyway, she was still craving something chocolate, not something that was cinnamon disguised as chocolate (seriously, I couldn't even taste the cinnamon).
She decided brownies were the answer. On the back of the box it had a recipe for Cookies 'n Creme Brownies. All you had to do was add to the brownie batter one cup of "creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookie crumbs" (aka Oreos).  
So you mix up the brownies as instructed on the box, and add the cup of Oreo crumbs. Bake it as directed on the box (we did not follow the high altitude directions). 
Use a plastic knife to cut them so you don't scratch your non-stick pan. 



I scarfed my slice down, and then since I needed to cut another piece to take this picture, why put it back in the pan. Yes, I scarfed that down too.
Remember how I don't have canned frosting in my (newly cleaned out) pantry? Here's the recipe I made up for the frosting. Jenny, it's easy enough that you don't need canned frosting. Really!

Cream Cheese Frosting
1 stick butter, softened slightly
4 oz. cream cheese (I used light, again)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups powdered sugar (I sifted, but you don't have to)
1 T heavy whipping cream (or milk)
Beat the butter and cream cheese for five minutes. Add the vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until well combined. Add the whipping cream (in its liquid state, not whipped) and beat for one minute longer.
Spread it on your brownies (you won't need to use all the frosting) then add 1/2 cup of additional Oreo crumbs. Show more restraint than I did and only have one piece...if you can.

This frosting is less stiff than what I would use to pipe on cupcakes, and was perfect for these brownies. And yes, I used a knife to frost them...sort of. It was actually an offset spatula, but close enough, right Jenny?



4 comments:

Laura Read said...

You're back to mystery titles. When I want to find those cream cheese oreo brownies, I'll have to search and search. By the way: today's lesson plan is to have a blindfolded mystery taste test. Set out a bunch of bites of different things, blindfold each other, feed them to each other and guess what they are.

Cheryl said...

Sounds yum! Do you think mint Oreo cookies would work? That's the only kind of Oreo cookies I like.

Patti said...

I am sure mint would be amazing!

Jenny said...

Hmmmm...I have made cream cheese frosting before! I do everytime I make cinnamon rolls:). If I was frosting the brownies I would have used my frosting spreader from Pampered Chef! Seriously!