Pin It!

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Sunday's Dinner

My stepdaughter (it's pretty funny to call her that, since she's actually six months older than I am), Lori, gave me this recipe, which I've slightly adapted.
Okay, so once it hits the plate it isn't quite as pretty, but if you like veggies, this is for you!
Grecian-Style Chicken
4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
1/4 cup Panko crumbs
2 T. olive oil, divided
1 small zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced
1/2 medium green bell pepper, sliced
1 small yellow squash (like a zucchini, but yellow), sliced
1/2 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
4-6 asparagus spears, cut in 2-inch lengths
2 carrots, sliced thinly lengthwise, then cut into 2-inch pieces and briefly steamed
1/2 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
2 cloves garlic, minced (I left this out- Bud doesn't "do" garlic)
1/8 tsp salt
dash ground black pepper
2 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
2 T. lime or lemon juice
2 T. water
3 cups hot cooked rice
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese (2 oz.)

Rinse chicken under cold tap water; sprinkle with a little salt. Heat large skillet with 1 T. oil over medium heat. Coat chicken with Panko crumbs and place in skillet. Cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, turning once. Remove chicken from skillet (since I was only cooking one piece of chicken and it was very thick on one end, I left it in the skillet), keeping the chicken warm. (Tip: if you're cooking this for a large crowd, consider cooking chicken under the broiler in the oven while sautéing vegetables in the skillet).

Add remaining oil to skillet. Add onions, carrots (which I did not take the extra step to pre-steam), asparagus and peppers. Cook for 3 minutes, then add remaining vegetables. Add seasonings (I added a little seasoned salt at this point- about 1/2 tsp.). Add tomato wedges, water and lime or lemon juice. Cover and cook for one more minute.

Serve over rice, placing chicken on rice and spooning vegetables over chicken. Sprinkle with feta cheese.

Makes 4 servings.

This recipe doesn't go overboard with the seasonings, which is why I liked it. In fact, I didn't even use the feta. Call me boring. I'll answer to it. By the way, can you tell all my grandkids are far away? This turns into a recipe blog when that happens! However, I'll get to see three of them in a week! Guess you'll have to stock up on the recipes this week because you'll be seeing cute little girls next week!

1 comment:

wylie said...

That looks very delicious, I LOVE vegetables! Can I just join you when you make it next time? No one else here at our home loves vegetables like I do and this recipe wouldn't go over well with them.