Pin It!

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Looks Bad, Tastes Good

After naming this post, I have Ludo's voice in my head from Labrynth. Can't you just hear him? "Smell baaadddd!" Well, these didn't smell bad, they just looked bad because I didn't tuck the point under the rest of the roll (I didn't know I needed to!)
Here they are starting to look like some kind of creature.

What would you call that? A snail? Ew. Perhaps it's a swan? Looking back over it's "shoulder?" Better. Maybe.


I polished them with a little butter (um, Parkay squeeze, actually), tucked them into the basket hiding the deformities as best I could, and served them. They were inhaled.

You can find the recipe as originally posted, here. Just don't look too closely at how beautiful her rolls turned out, please.


Grandma’s Dinner Rolls

2 rounded Tbsp yeast
1 ½ cups warm water
1 cup warm milk
½ cup sugar (2/3 c for sweet rolls)
6 Tbsp shortening
2 tsp salt
4 eggs
7-8 cups flour

Beat first 7 ingredients until smooth. I put all the ingredients in my Blendtec mixing bowl and let it do all the work for me, including the kneading. If you don't have one sitting in your cupboard doing nothing (like some people I know who shall remain nameless...eh-hem!), then you can use an electric mixer with a dough hook, add flour one cup at a time until dough forms a ball, cleaning off edge of bowl. Knead 5 minutes (or 10 minutes by hand).
Let rise until double covered with a damp towel. Punch down dough and let rise until double again, still covering with the damp towel. When it has doubled in size gently punch down the dough. Cover again with the towel and allow to rise again. Punch down again and divide into 3 parts.
Roll out each segment of dough into a circle. With a pizza cutter, cut into fourths, then each fourth into thirds (or think of an analog clock and make cuts at each "hour mark" making 12 pie shapes. Roll each one up starting at the wide end. Place on cookie sheet and let rise briefly. Watch carefully as rolls will rise very quickly now (about 10 minutes).
Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes, until lightly browned.
And stop laughing at my strange-looking rolls. I can hear you from here!

3 comments:

Cheryl said...

They were fabulous! And I didn't notice any deformities. I shared the leftovers w/Curtis who also inhaled them. I told you, I need a tutorial! But I've actually used it once to make a smoothie. Does that count?

wylie said...

Those do look heavenly, despite their deformities =) I bet the house smelled wonderful while they were cooking.

regular grandma said...

I am sorry I didn't see your comment sooner. After "my friend Capri" she has a long list of blogs on the right side of her blog. It would be near the bottom and it is called San Antonio Ward Relief Society. Another Recomendation is Elder Ballards book, "Counseling with Councils" there is a section on Accountiblity Interviews that will change how you conduct your VT interviews, which is the real key to being an effective RS President. I guess we will be seeing you next weekend.