Pin It!

Friday, May 30, 2014

Pound Cake

I know I haven't been blogging lately, but was surprised to see exactly HOW LONG it's been since my last post- six weeks and a day! That's terrible. To make up for it, I'm sharing the best pound cake I've ever had, so get ready for deliciousness!

This recipe comes from my daughter's mother-in-law. I don't know where she got it, but we're glad she has got it!

I didn't have any strawberries because these were the last two pieces of the cake, and the strawberries had been devoured when we enjoyed the rest of the cake the day before. 

Pound Cake (from Laura's mother-in-law)
1 cup shortening (I may play with changing part of this to butter because, well...it's shortening, but the cake was delicious, so maybe I should leave it alone)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
3 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 T vanilla extract
2 T lemon extract
1 tsp almond extract
Preheat oven to 350°F. Whisk the baking soda into the buttermilk and set aside. Cream together the shortening and sugar until well blended. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Whisk the salt into the flour. Alternating the dry and wet ingredients, and starting with the dry, add a third of the flour mixture into the sugar mixture and mix on low speed. Add half of the buttermilk mixture and mix until blended. Add another third of the flour mixture and mix until incorporated. Add the last of the buttermilk and blend and finish up with the last of the flour mixture. Now add the three extracts and mix it together. Spray a tube pan or bundt pan with Baker's Joy, or grease and flour your pan. Add batter and bake on a middle rack for 75 minutes or until a toothpick tests clean. Remove from oven and let it rest in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes, then remove the cake from the pan and continue to cool until completely cool. You know what to do from here! 





No comments: