Pin It!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

A Pinkalicious Birthday Cake


I was asked to make a birthday cake for my niece's daughter. She sent me a picture of what she wanted it to look like. I baked the cakes (3 8-inch rounds and 3 6-inch rounds) and made the frosting. The frosting making process was comedic. It was suggested that the recipe be tripled so the beater attachment would stay under the frosting, thereby making a smoother product with less air pockets. Oh boy. 
Come on. Really? 

Here's how you get the frosting onto the cake.

Then you smooth it out. I used the Viva method. As in...paper towel. Once it was filled, frosted, stacked and doweled, I turned it over to my "partner," Laura. I tinted the frosting and handed it to her and she did all the ruffles. She made the ribbon and bow from fondant and the crown and star are gum paste. I painted the gum paste with lemon juice and applied gold sparkle dust. Then I spritzed it with water and added some silver sanding sugar to give it a little more sparkle. 

Laura is trying to find the best place to take a few photos. This wasn't the best place, so we went outside for the photo shoot. 







And here is the recipient, the birthday girl herself! Happy Birthday, Livy! 

Three pretty princesses! Laura did another awesome job. I can't do any of this without her. 
Here's the recipe I used for the cake.

Vanilla Butter Cake (adapted from the Mermaid Bakery)
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs, at room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 3/4 cups flour
2 1/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 325°F. with rack in the center of the oven. Grease and flour 3 8-inch rounds).
On medium speed, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, about four minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg. Measure the buttermilk and then add the extracts to the buttermilk. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter/sugar/eggs mixture in two parts, alternating with the buttermilk mixture, beating well after each addition. Pour batter into pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick tests clean. Remove from oven and cool in pans 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely on wire rack (or immediately wrap in plastic wrap and pop them in the freezer until you need them.
I may never go back to a cake mix again!



No comments: